Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, 1988
M. S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, 1985
B. S., Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Michigan - Ann Arbor, 1978
2015 – present, Distinguished University Professor and Head, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
2010 - 2015, Professor and Head, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
2006 - 2010, Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
2000 - 2006, Prof. and Assoc. Head, Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1998 - 2000, Assoc. Head, Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1994 - 2000, Assoc. Prof. of Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1989 - 1994, Asst. Prof. of Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1988 - 1989, Visiting Scientist, R. S. Kerr Laboratory for Environmental Research, Ada, OK, by cooperative agreement with Dept. of Soil Science,Oregon State University
1981 - 1982, Environmental Engineer, Israeli Environmental Protection Service, Jerusalem, Israel
1978 - 1981, Environmental Eng., Union Carbide Corp., So. Charleston, W.Va.
Chemical and biological processes as they apply to decomposition in landfills,
the application of life-cycle analysis to solid waste management
Solid Waste Management and Engineering
- Perry L. McCarty AEESP Founders’ Award, 2020
- Richard I. Stessel Waste Management Award, 2018, Air & Waste Mngmnt. Asscn.
- Frederick George Pohland Medal, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2015
- Kappe Lecturer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers, 2010
- Distinguished Service Award, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2009
- International Lecturer, Waste Management Association of Australia, 2008
- Distinguished Individual Achievement Award, SWANA, 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2003
- Outstanding Paper - 7th Intl. Waste Mngmnt. & Landfill Symp., Cagliari, Italy,1999
- Samuel Arnold Greeley Award, ASCE, 1997
- National Science Foundation Presidential Faculty Fellow, 1992 - 97
- Department of Energy Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, 1992
- American Chemical Society Graduate Student Award, 1987
- General Electric Forgivable Loan for Ph.D. students, 1985
- Getty Synthetic Fuels Scholarship for Excellence in Landfill Research, 1985
- Registered Professional Engineer in North Carolina (18629)
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
Professional Service (Selected)
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Waste Management, (2018 - present)
- Co-Chair for the Biannual Global Waste Management Symposium (2008 - 2018)
- Associate Editor, Waste Management (2002 - 2017)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Engineering (2001 - 2012)
- Associate Editor, Waste Management and Research (1992 - 96, 1999 - 2002
- EPA Science Advisory Board panel on biogenic carbon dioxide (2011-2017)
- Co-Chair for the Biannual Intercontinental Landfill Research Symposium (1998 - 2012)
- Chair, AEESP Lecturers Committee (2004 - 2008)
- Chair, AEESP Government Affairs Committee (1999 - 2003)
- Science Advisory Committee, International Waste Working Committee (2004 - present)
- External Advisory Committee, NASA Advanced Life Support Research Center, Purdue University (2004 - 05)
- ASCE Solid Waste Committee (1995 - 2002)
- IAWQ Landfill Specialty Group (5/96 - 2000)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists,
- American Chemical Society,
- American Society of Civil Engineers,
- American Society for Microbiology,
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors,
- International Solid Waste Management Association,
- International Waste Working Group, Sigma i,
- Solid Waste Association of North America
Research Associate, Earth Engineering Center, Columbia University
Guest Professor, Tonji University, 2010 - 2013