Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, 1988
M. S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, 1985
B. S., Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Michigan - Ann Arbor, 1978
2015 – 2022, Distinguished University Professor and Head, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ. (complete term as Department Head on August 15, 2022 and remain on the faculty)
2010 - 2015, Professor and Head, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
2006 - 2010, Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
2000 - 2006, Prof. and Assoc. Head, Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1998 - 2000, Assoc. Head, Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1994 - 2000, Assoc. Prof. of Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1989 - 1994, Asst. Prof. of Civil Engineering, North Carolina State Univ.
1988 - 1989, Visiting Scientist, R. S. Kerr Laboratory for Environmental Research, Ada, OK, by cooperative agreement with Dept. of Soil Science,Oregon State University
1981 - 1982, Environmental Engineer, Israeli Environmental Protection Service, Jerusalem, Israel
1978 - 1981, Environmental Eng., Union Carbide Corp., So. Charleston, W.Va.
Chemical and biological processes as they apply to decomposition in landfills,
the application of life-cycle analysis to solid waste management
Solid Waste Management and Engineering
- Perry L. McCarty AEESP Founders’ Award, 2020
- Richard I. Stessel Waste Management Award, 2018, Air & Waste Mngmnt. Asscn.
- Frederick George Pohland Medal, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2015
- Kappe Lecturer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers, 2010
- Distinguished Service Award, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2009
- International Lecturer, Waste Management Association of Australia, 2008
- Distinguished Individual Achievement Award, SWANA, 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, Assn. Env. Eng & Sci. Prof., 2003
- Outstanding Paper - 7th Intl. Waste Mngmnt. & Landfill Symp., Cagliari, Italy,1999
- Samuel Arnold Greeley Award, ASCE, 1997
- National Science Foundation Presidential Faculty Fellow, 1992 - 97
- Department of Energy Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, 1992
- American Chemical Society Graduate Student Award, 1987
- General Electric Forgivable Loan for Ph.D. students, 1985
- Getty Synthetic Fuels Scholarship for Excellence in Landfill Research, 1985
- Registered Professional Engineer in North Carolina (18629)
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
Professional Service (Selected)
- Science Advisory Board, Campus for Research Excellence and Technological Enterprise, National Research Foundation, Singapore (2022-2024)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists, E3 Awards Selection Committee, 2021
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Waste Management, (2018 - 2020); Editor Emeritus (2021-present)
- Co-Chair for the Biannual Global Waste Management Symposium (2008 - 2022)
- Associate Editor, Waste Management (2002 - 2017)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Engineering (2001 - 2012)
- Associate Editor, Waste Management and Research (1992 - 96, 1999 - 2002
- EPA Science Advisory Board panel on biogenic carbon dioxide (2011-2017)
- Co-Chair for the Biannual Intercontinental Landfill Research Symposium (1998 - 2012)
- Chair, AEESP Lecturers Committee (2004 - 2008)
- Chair, AEESP Government Affairs Committee (1999 - 2003)
- Science Advisory Committee, International Waste Working Committee (2004 - present)
- External Advisory Committee, NASA Advanced Life Support Research Center, Purdue University (2004 - 05)
- ASCE Solid Waste Committee (1995 - 2002)
- IAWQ Landfill Specialty Group (5/96 - 2000)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists,
- American Chemical Society,
- American Society of Civil Engineers,
- American Society for Microbiology,
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors,
- International Solid Waste Management Association,
- International Waste Working Group, Sigma i,
- Solid Waste Association of North America
Research Associate, Earth Engineering Center, Columbia University
Guest Professor, Tonji University, 2010 - 2013